WPS500X Pressure Transducer
With the unparalleled resolution and accuracy of the WPS500X Automotive Pressure Transducer you can perform a quick and accurate pressure analysis of many automotive systems.
Often, problems reported by customers can have many potential causes, and simply reading fault codes leaves you no closer to a solution. In addition to the comprehensive electrical testing provided by PicoScope, the addition of a WPS500X provides you with that same detailed insight into the engine system for accurate diagnosis of common problems such as:
- No start
- Loss of power
- Engine noise
- Emissions fault
With the unparalleled resolution and accuracy of the WPS500X Automotive Pressure Transducer you can perform quick and accurate pressure analysis on many automotive systems.
- Accurately measure up to 500 psi (34 bar)
- Ultra-fast 100 µs response time
- Zoom function for enhanced analysis capabilities
- Internal rechargeable LiPo battery
- Integrated pressure relief / bleed-off valve
- Auto zeroing
- High noise immunity
- Temperature compensated
The WPS500X features an extremely fast 100 µs response time from 0% to 90% of full scale and sensitivity down to about 0.07 psi (5 mbar). This provides you with an accurate representation of rapidly changing signals that span a broad pressure range.
Use the WPS500X with PicoScope to reveal how your engine is actually performing with minimal intrusion. Compression, airflow, valve timing and back pressure can all be measured in one hit.
The WPS500X has three pressure ranges to allow accurate measurement and analysis of many automotive pressures including cylinder compression, fuel pressure, intake manifold vacuum and even pulses from the exhaust.
|Range||Pressure range||Accuracy||Response time||Output scaling|
|1||–15 to 500 psi
–1 to 34.47 bar
|1% of scale||100 µs||10 mV/1 psi
(500 psi = 5 V)
|2||–15 to 50 psi
–1 to 3.45 bar
|1% of scale||100 µs||100 mV/1 psi
(50 psi = 5 V)
|3||–5 to 5 psi
–0.34 to 0.34 bar
|5% of scale||filtered||1 V/1 psi
(5 psi = 5 V)
Range 1 (High Pressure)
The first range gives you high resolution and accuracy for high-pressure tests such as cranking and running cylinder compression or fuel pressure testing. Not only is this test a great way for you to find compression issues, but it is also an excellent way for you to identify cam timing issues such as jumped timing belts and stretched timing chains — this is especially useful on multi-cam engines that may not have a cam sensor on each camshaft.
Range 2 (Medium Pressure)
The second range measures from –15 to 50 psi (approximately –1 to 3.45 bar). This range is ideal for vacuum tests and fuel system tests. When testing these systems you will find the zoom function is especially useful as it makes it easy to analyze the valves operating with the vacuum waveform, or the injectors through the fuel waveform.
Range 3 (Low Pressure)
With the third range you can measure –5 to 5 psi (approximately –0.34 to 0.34 bar). This setting is sensitive enough to allow you to analyze small pressures or pulses such as pulses from the exhaust.
The zoom function operates by removing all of the voltage from the signal below 100 Hz and then multiplying the remaining signal up to 100 times. For example: Let’s say your transducer is connected to the intake manifold vacuum on a running engine at idle with the transducer set to mode 2 (–15 to 50 psi) and the waveform on your PicoScope is at –9 psi. The fluctuation in the signal caused by the valves opening and closing versus atmospheric pressure forcing air into the manifold will be visible, but will only make up a small portion of the overall signal.
Selecting the zoom function will bring the waveform up to the zero line and the fluctuations will be magnified making an analysis of this component of the signal much clearer.
Nothing compares to the WPS500X
It is not unusual to require a different pressure transducer for each diagnostic test you want to run. The WPS500X eliminates this need by giving you one ultra-high resolution transducer that can be used for a multitude of automotive diagnostic applications. With three pressure ranges, a zoom function, pressure relief valve and a rechargeable Li–Po battery all enclosed in a durable housing the WPS500X is the cost-effective answer to pressure analysis.
When price, performance and versatility matter, there is nothing that compares to the WPS500X Automotive Pressure Transducer.
The pressure transducer has become the essential diagnostic tool to assist with a multitude of pressure related tasks from -15 psi up to 500 psi (-1 to 34 bar), so replacing the majority of analog gauges used today. With the ability to measure pressure against time we can now witness rapid events taking place that were never previously visible. Below is just a selection of how the pressure transducer takes diagnostic to a whole new level. (Adaptors will be required - please explore our comprehensive WPS500X kits).
- In-cylinder pressure tests
- 4-stroke cycle visibility
- Exhaust gas pulsations
- Intake manifold pressure fluctuations
- Crankcase pressure measurements
- Diesel injector back leakage tests
- Fuel pressure tests up to 500 psi
- Cylinder compression testing (Cranking)
- Cylinder compression testing (Idle)
- Cylinder compression testing (WOT snap test)
- Intake manifold pressure petrol and diesel
- Exhaust gas pressure pulsations
- Exhaust back pressure evaluations
- Crankcase pressure pulsations
- PCV valve operation when you have high crankcase pressures
- Camshaft timing evaluation (Belt, Chain and Gear Driven)
- Cylinder head valve sealing integrity
- Engine oil pressure testing
- Cooling system pressure evaluation-Head gasket failure
- Radiator cap evaluation with over pressurized cooling systems
- Vacuum pump efficiency
- Fuel delivery pressure, Petrol
- Fuel pressure regulator test, Petrol
- Fuel delivery residual pressure test, Petrol
- Fuel delivery/priming pump efficiency, petrol and diesel
- Fuel positive priming pressure, Diesel
- Fuel negative priming pressure, Diesel
- Fuel delivery residual pressure, Diesel
- Fuel injector back leakage test, Diesel
- Fuel injector contribution evaluation test, Petrol
- “Evaporative loss” control vacuum circuits and solenoids
- Boost pressure evaluation (Variable vane errors)
- Boost control vacuum circuits and solenoids
- Waste gate operation
- Variable induction system actuator/control integrity test.
- Idle control damper integrity test.
- Cruise control actuators, vacuum circuits and solenoids.
- Air suspension pump efficiency
- Air suspension residual pressure testing
- Air suspension control pneumatic circuits & solenoids
- Brake servo evaluation and integrity test
- Auto transmission line pressure testing
- Auto transmission governor pressure testing
- Cylinder head gaskets
- Broken or stuck rocker valves
- Blocked exhaust / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
- Engine non-start The engine will not start after a major overhaul. Compression and valve timing have been checked and are correct.
- Misfire The topic of this case study is not so much "How we managed to diagnose the fault in question" but more about the multiple options at our disposal when it comes to diagnosing component failure.
- Sudden power loss I admit that the fix is probably quite obvious using the parts darts technique or best guess scenario, but I thought this particular job demonstrated the use of the WPS500 as an everyday aid to speed up the diagnostic process.
- Misfire This story concerns an employee of Pico Technology and their journey to the office. About one mile from work the owner of this 54,000 mile Smart Fortwo started to experience a very noticeable misfire.
- Variable nozzle turbine pressure control I was fortunate enough recently to get hold of a WPS500X Pressure Transducer and looked forward to using it right away. It didn’t take long before I found a perfect excuse to switch it on: the Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT) boost control.
- Fuel pressure - negative priming (diesel)
- Turbocharger operation (petrol)
- Common rail diesel injector back-leakage testing
- WPS500X In-cylinder compression – cranking (petrol)
- Triggered cranking exhaust test
- WPS500X - Intake manifold pressure, non-turbo non-variable valve lift
- WPS500X - Petrol intake manifold pressure (snap WOT)
- WPS500X - Petrol intake manifold pressure (running)
- WPS500X - Petrol intake manifold pressure, cranking (non-turbo)